Vanilla cupcakes.

So, let me start off by saying it's been way too long since I've posted baking blog. Life has been crazy and I haven't been keeping up on my blog like I want to but I'm going to make a sincere effort to do do!

Today I'm sharing a basic vanilla cupcake recipe. I love just a plain old cupcake. They're perfect for parties because everyone likes vanilla(well, pretty much everyone). The great thing about a standard vanilla cupcake recipe is it can be altered to make different flavors and you can use many different frosting flavors as well! Today I will be sharing my super easy frosting recipe as well. Once you start making homemade frosting I'm pretty sure you'll never by that canned stuff again!

Here's what you need for the cake:
- 4 egg whites at room temp. ( let sit for about 30 min and you'll be fine!)
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of butter or shortening ( I used shortening but I mostly use butter, however I ran out)
- 1 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups of sour milk ( *To sour milk add 1 tablespoon of vinegar per cup of milk and let sit for 5 min)

First, line a cupcake baking pan with 24 liners and preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Next, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a mixer, beat shortening(or butter) on medium to high for roughly 30 seconds until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until everything is well combined. Add egg whites one at a time, beating well after you add each one.

Lastly, alternate adding in flour mixture and milk and beat on low speed until everything is combined.
Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for about 15-20 min, rotating the pans halfway through, so you get an even bake.
Once done, let cool completely before frosting.

Here's what you need for the frosting:
- 1 cup of shortening
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- ~ 4 tablespoons of heavy whipping creme

Beat shortening until creamy. Next add 2 cups of sugar and beat on medium while adding 3 tablespoons of creme. Beat until mostly incorporated then add remaining sugar and creme, adding more creme to get desired consistency of frosting, then whip on high for at least 30 seconds. I rarely measure when I make frosting because I've made it so many times so just add the heavy whipping creme slowly, to make sure you don't have thin frosting. After you finished whipping the frosting, frost cupcakes as desired. I added food coloring to mine to make it blue for father's day and then topped it off with some sprinkles. This is a light frosting, that isn't too sweet. I love frosting but hate when it's too sweet that it takes away from the cake itself. If you have a sweet tooth you can add more powdered sugar to taste:)
 I hope you enjoy making these! They are so yummy! This week I'm going to trying fruit filled cupcakes, so I will be posting how those come out later this week! Also, I finally have my camera back and will taking better pictures of the process from now on. I have been using my Iphone and haven't been super happy with how they come out. Oh well! Have a beautiful day!
XOXO,
 <3 kay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Changes for the better.

7 months:)

Summertime fun!